Tips and tricks for RP performers?

Guides and EQ2-related discussions.
Rovine
Patron
Patron

Tips and tricks for RP performers?

Post by Rovine » 09/21/16

First I want to say I've been seeing the best RP performances out of any MMORPG I've played, right here in EQ2 AB. I visited one Maiden's Fancy performance session and eveyone is just fantastic. It makes me want to do my own too.

I noticed that various macros may have been set up before the performance to sing any lyrics etc. If I'm correct in that observation, is there anything else I should know before creating my own performance? Is it considered rude to split lyrics up into several new lines instead of combining a whole verse into one line? Any macro tricks that I can make use of?

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Tips and tricks for RP performers?

Post by TinweSaa » 09/21/16

This is a mod to the UI made by Ereon Patchwork, one of our bards!

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=36869

Illiatris
Visitor

Post by Illiatris » 09/21/16

I don't personally use the UI mod (I haven't had the time/energy to mess with it.) I want to but my laziness is overpowering. This is just a very casual description of the way I do things and the reasons I don't use the other methods, which may work better for you (I talk a little about them). This is by no means a super clean tutorial on how to perform. But hopefully it will help someone.

I tend to write my own poems/songs but others might have some insights on adjusting RL songs to be Norrathian. This is just a rough outline of the actual mechanics of performing, not a guide to writing good performances. Because there are way better people at that than me.

There are a couple ways to do it and it depends honestly, on you. I used to do actual macros with the macro window but I found I messed up my macros a lot that way and I'd have half-written emotes, or extra lines, or missing emotes entirely.. I tend to put things into a performance very last minute, if you have time to sit alone in an empty house and test your macros then that may be the best solution for you (next to Ereon's mod, that requires the same pre-testing.)

You can also use the in-game book method, where you write out your entire performance in the book and copy-paste as you go. Selecting things in books can be kind of a pain so I no longer do this but I found it preferable to macros.

What I do currently is use a google doc that I have open while I am windowed (I often play on two monitors which helps this method) and I copy and paste from there.

The best "pro tip" I have is knowing how you want your performance to come out. If you want to paste a couple lines of a poem or song at once, write it like this:

/say ~ Line 1
~ Line 2
~ Line 3

Then copy select from the 3, back the the forward slash. Make sure you are copying only the text, no extra spaces. When you hit enter in-game it will come out like this.

Illiatris says, "Line 1"
Illiatris says, "Line 2"
Illiatris says, "Line 3"

Now, the above method is purely for if you plan to paste multiple lines. If you were to write /say in front of each line, it would come out like this..
Illiatris says, "Line 1
Illiatris says, "/say Line 2"
Illiatris says, "/say Line 3"

Which is less than ideal. Basically when you paste more than one line from a document, it automatically breaks it up into individual posts for you but doesn't detect the slash command in front. The same problem would occur if you did an emote and part of a song at the same time.

/say ~ Line 1
/em dances around like a ninny.

If you pasted those at the same time, it will come out as:

Illiatris says, "Line 1"
Illiatris says, "/em dances around like a ninny."

What this means is, you can paste multiple emotes at once or multiple lines of say/shout at once, but you can't mix them. You must separate and do separate pastes.

I caution against pasting multiple /emotes this way, because you can't check at the last minute to make sure your emote isn't too long for posting. This isn't a big deal if you've already tested and it's within length.

Last example, this is a very shortened version of how I paste when I do a performance.

First paste:
/em prances around, gives a wave. Then starts singing.

Second Paste:
/say ~ Line 1
~ Line 2
~ Line 3

Third Paste:
/em sings some more, doing a bit more dancing. Blah blah. More frou frou emotes about stuff.

Fourth Paste:
/em does a more complicated dance move, some fluffy descriptive text that matches the song/poem somehow.

Fifth Paste:
/say ~ Line 1
~ Line 2
~ Line 3

Again, that is a very short example. I tend to paste each emote by itself to prevent problems. I'm not perfect and I do occasionally accidentally paste an extra space in there. When that happens, that extra space past the last letter becomes a 4th line which comes out looking like.

Illiatris says, ""
or
Illiatris .

Rovine
Patron
Patron

Post by Rovine » 09/22/16

TinweSaa wrote:This is a mod to the UI made by Ereon Patchwork, one of our bards!

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=36869
Thank you TinweSaa. Looks like fun to play around?
Illiatris wrote:*hot damn*
The mechanics of it are among what I assume to be many factors in performing in game that I want to know about. These are all exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much for the elaborate post!

I'll certainly give both the UI and good ole manual copy pasta a try, without ruling one or the other depending on situation. Also fully understand that preparation is key regardless of what we do. My guild hall has a lovely stage that I can practice at, and an empty 5s inn room is certainly the most private place anyone could practice in.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/22/16

If you look on the journal page, you will find Slipps' song book, I copy and paste directly from there what has not been translated to Ereon's system.

There is a limit on text overall that will post. I have not actually counted it, but I do know it is about 6 short lines, or one, maybe two long ones. My Troll song where she eats a fly? The line that lists every animal she has swallowed I have to put separately or it will not all show. You definitely must practice this until you have a feel for what can be pasted at once. My earlier songs in the journal are not broken up as neatly, one of these days I will go back and space them better, but the below is how I do Old Troll, 2 lines, the one long one, then the next two lines with the emote line. The stanza that follows I can drop in all at once as it does not have that really long line in it.

"I knows an olds Trolls"
"who swalloweds Nagafen!"

"She swalloweds thats dragons to burns the elephants to tramples the cow to charges the dogs to chase the cats to eats the birds to snatches the spider to catches the flys"

"I don'ts knows whys she swalloweds that flys..."
"Do you thinks she wills dies?"
/e gasps, wipes her brow, looks serious and softly sings.

As for breaking things up. Please do! And pace your pasting. For me, you will see my songs tend to start with an emote, or end with one, then there is a stanza of a few lines. In game I also have my bubbles set to 5 or 6 seconds. I use them to time my pasting and entering, as you can paste several lines at once. When I hit enter, the /say lines appear in a bubble per line over Slipps' head, the emotes do not. Of course everything ends up in the chat box.

While those bubbles are fading, one per line, you should, with practice, have enough time to flip screens, copy the next set, flip back and paste. When the last bubble has faded, hit enter, and repeat. This allows some space for people to read, and react to, your performance. It also gives you a moment to go back and forth.

If you are using the in game macro tool, then each line is a line in the macro, again, keep it under six lines so people can read it comfortably. When the bubbles fade, hit the next macro. Ereon's system is similar. Yes, you will need to practice! Also, with the macros, either in game, or Ereon's, it must be clear at the start of the line if the line is a /say, or an /em. When you copy and paste, if you are pre-set to /say, then it will only need to know which are the /em lines.

What you do not want to be doing during a performance is hand typing out everything while you are making it up. It takes too long and people get restless waiting, even if the song, or story is wonderful. What could have been a five minute story, ends up taking a half hour depending on typing skills, perhaps longer. Try to have as much written out as possible before hand.

I personally tend to write my own stuff, but there are times that I will Norrathianize a song. If you do, please try to credit the original bard, even if in /ooc, if they are known, or be prepared to, just in case, in the beginning people were really prickly about such things. For my Bardics, the ones that offer prizes, we tend to favor original songs, or heavily, and creatively, converted ones. It is also perfectly all right to have a muse song in mind when you write different lyrics, or create a dance performance.

I am very happy to see another person that would like to perform! We need more people that can RP in this fashion!

Rovine
Patron
Patron

Post by Rovine » 09/22/16

Thank you Slipps. I should probably mention the topic of "Norrathianize" a RL song sooner as that is exactly what I wanted to do, after seeing some performances doing the same. Given that full credit is due right from the start in /ooc, how badly received will it be to perform non original songs?

I'm still motivated to write my own songs, but at plenty of times I get obsessed with some RL songs that I just really want to imagine it being performed in RP setting.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/22/16

Not badly received at all. Everything Poni, and most everything Tregard presented was good old Terran filk. We certainly cannot hold it against performers to create covers of songs, or to suggest that the music they may be hearing is reminiscent of of something heard on the radio.

Maelgrym
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Maelgrym » 09/22/16

I tend to use two to 3 lines per "hot button" (the in game tool you get by hitting "O"). When you get in the 3 line or more mark, a chunk of text is displayed that is about an inch on your screen. This can vary depending on monitor size and wide your chat panel is.

When you consider this, you have to be really careful with your timing. Give people close to a minute to read what you just placed up. If you do it too quickly, you present the reader with a "wall of text". You throw in the usual tavern talk and the spatial text makes me not want to read what was written. Not saying that everyone does this, but it is something to think about.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 09/22/16

Slipps wrote:Not badly received at all. Everything Poni, and most everything Tregard presented was good old Terran filk. We certainly cannot hold it against performers to create covers of songs, or to suggest that the music they may be hearing is reminiscent of of something heard on the radio.
This. A lot of people do it and it can be especially well received if done well. (All about that cake - sung by a halfling named Demy) is silly but wonderful. I do it once in awhile when I have a song I love and want to share, but I write poetry anyway and find it's just a neat vehicle for sharing it so I use it. I have found that the people who do and watch performances are not judgemental and don't really have a preference either way.

Speed is something I struggle with. I often feel like I'll drag out too long, but then I feel like I paste too fast so I'm trying to work on that.

*is Illiatris too, just too lazy to change accts*

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 09/22/16

Do Virgins Taste Better... Fits most fantasy genres and I have performed it with my Swashie because she was drunken one... LOL

A dragon has come to our village today
We have asked him to leave, but he won't go away
Now he's met with our king, and they've made out a deal
No homes will he burn, and no crops will he steal

Now there is but one catch, we dislike it a bunch
twice a year he invites him a virgin to lunch
we have no other choice, so the deal we'll respect
we can't help but wonder and pause to reflect

Do virgins taste better than those who are not?
Are they salty or sweet or more juicy or what?
Do you savor them slowly, gulp them down on the spot?

Now we'd like to be shed you, and many have tried.
But no one can get through your thick scaly hide.
We hope that some day, some brave knight will come by.
'Cause we can't wait around 'til you're too fat to fly.

Now you have such good taste in your women for sure
They always are pretty, always are pure
But you're notion of dining it makes us all flinch
You're favorite entree is barbecued wench (mine too!)

Now I found a solution, it works out so neat
If you insist on nothing but virgins to eat
No more will our number ever grow small
We'll simply make sure theres no virgins at all

Now, I am a dragon, please listen to me
For I'm misunderstood to a dreadful degree.
This ecology needs me and I know my place,
But I'm fighting extinction with all of my race.

Well, I came to this village to better my health
Which is shockingly poor, despite all my wealth.
But I get no assistance and no sympathy,
Just impertinent questioning shouted at me.

Yes, virgins taste better than those who are not.
But my favorite snack food with peril is fraught.
For my teeth will decay and my trim go to pot.
Yet virgins taste better than those who are not.

Well, I'm really quite good almost all through the year.
Vegetarian ways are now mine out of fear.
But a birthday needs sweets as I'm sure you'll agree.
And barbecued wench tastes like candy to me!

As it happens our interests are almost the same.
For I'm really quite skillful at managing game.
If I ate just your men, would your excess decline?
Of course not, the rest would just make better time

Yes, virgins taste better than those who are not
But my favorite snack food with peril is fraught.
For my teeth will decay and my trim go to pot.
Yet virgins taste better than those who are not.

But the number of babies a woman can bear
Has a limit, and that's why my pruning's done there.
Yet an orphan's a sad sight and so when I munch.
I'm careful to take only virgins for lunch.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/23/16

Virgins was one of Poni's favorites.

And no matter how you get the words on the screen, timing is very important to allow people to read the performance comfortably, react if they wish, then read the next bit. Do not be afraid to take time to practice your act! When you add actual movement and active emotes to a performance, time needs to be added for that as well.

Maelgrym
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Maelgrym » 09/23/16

As an aside...I personally would love to see a few more non-traditional performers. We have a ton of singers and strippers and those that do both. I think that you can really carve a niche out for yourself if you find something either different or some way to augment your act ((explosions or illusions or throwing nuts at the audience)) so that it has a *flavor/theme/etc* .

Whatever you end up doing, I look forward to catching your act at The Lounge tonight.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 09/23/16

Maelgrym wrote:As an aside...I personally would love to see a few more non-traditional performers. We have a ton of singers and strippers and those that do both. I think that you can really carve a niche out for yourself if you find something either different or some way to augment your act ((explosions or illusions or throwing nuts at the audience)) so that it has a *flavor/theme/etc* .

Whatever you end up doing, I look forward to catching your act at The Lounge tonight.
I always get anxious when doing non-traditional, because it's not always as easy to pull off and most of the perfomance venues are adult venues at this point so I feel like there's something of an expectation of what you'll see. Last night was the first time I really let Illiatris show anything, rather than hint and she still kept bits covered. Which no one seemed to mind. I'm sure you didn't mean that the non-traditional has to be un-adult but we see a lot of the same thing because of that, I feel.

I haven't quite felt comfortable to do the performances I had planned to do with her because of it.

Maybe it just means we need to open a venue that isn't made for that, I dunno. I had planned to do something like poetry or lecture nights and such at the Gilded Tome but time constraints are getting me right now. Once upon a time we had the Lecturn but that was evil based.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/23/16

When I get back home, the Nutshell & Wishing Well will open back up, every other Sunday (energy willing). That is not an adult stage at all, so I would gratefully welcome any performance up to barely suggestive. I would also welcome another person that would like to help run it, reliably.

Maelgrym
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Maelgrym » 09/23/16

I guess because I have done primarily adult venues, I may feel more at ease not "letting it all hang out". There is plenty of sex appeal in describing a tight fitting shirt, a suggestively revealed cleavage, and an honestly interesting act.

Illiatris was sexy by what she did not reveal in addition to how she did reveal herself. Mael has actually stopped going totally nude in his last performances. If people are complaining, they are doing it in tells =P (they are probably relieved LOL). Luckily, we have a pretty supportive community (at least lately) that seems to love acts and the fact that people have the grit to perform.

Rovine
Patron
Patron

Post by Rovine » 09/24/16

I just managed my first performance ever at the comfort of my own guild's The Lounge (yep you were all my lab rats muahahaha), using Ereon's UI. Being a graveyard hour player with the entire guild hall to yourself is great for practicing haha.

Since I started participating venues this month, I had wondered if AB hold a popularity bias towards adult oriented performances like stripping, since a lot of announced venues and audiences are within such theme. On the other hand I know that's not the case, since we have performances of perfectly okay songs too. I also used to feel like maybe I have to roll a bard class to perform (Rovine was a Dirge, which probably explains the crying! But I don't play that class well), and the diversity of our performers really say otherwise.

So it's really good to hear it here that there's a demand for non traditional performance. I'll want to try the song "Anything You Can Do" someday as another attempt at adding more dymanics, but for that particular idea I'll probably have to summon willing guildies as lab rats again to test the feedback first, as it is a dialogue heavy song.

Thank you all for making my first performance a breeze to pull off!

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 09/24/16

The rare occasioan I perform, it has been a song, except for my Brig who did a knife throwing display. Was hard to tell how it went down tbh, she kept her clothes on and was at the Fancy LOL

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 09/24/16

As did her partner...

Cassidhe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cassidhe » 09/24/16

What you do not want to be doing during a performance is hand typing out everything while you are making it up. It takes too long and people get restless waiting, even if the song, or story is wonderful. What could have been a five minute story, ends up taking a half hour depending on typing skills, perhaps longer. Try to have as much written out as possible before hand.
This is one of the reasons I gave up on performing. I type words for a living, and I'm pretty danged fast, but perhaps not fast enough. I can't use the UI because it gets my head spinning, and I think I'm just too dumb to figure it out. I loved performing, but it seems that the old fashioned way of typing it out one sentence at a time without hot keys and such is just no longer done.

Not that I play much anymore, but I would love to see more ensemble perfomances. One of my all time favorites was watching an IC couple perform a "play" based upon Monsters and Men's "Little Talks". It was fabulous!

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/24/16

Cassidhe, most people are not fast typers, and some are trying to make it up as they go along. We have had story tellers that had good stories, but what could have been concise was not due to the rambling nature, or the inevitable UI blurbs that had them loose everything they wrote. One does not need to use a fancy add on like Ereon's, or even the macro's in game, if the performance was pre-typed to be copy and pasted.

The Fancy allots between 60-90 minutes for performances. They need to be done by a certain time to get to the rest of their venue, and to account for people wanting to leave for the next one. I give about the same amount of time for the Wishing Well when at the Nutshell. For festivals, the Well is as long as people are there, or I fall over. The Bardics have a set time limit to accommodate events afterwards.

While I personally would love to let folk just get up there and do what is most comfortable, I always suggest that they please create a document first to work off of.

I too would love to see more plays adapted to the Norrathian stage.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 09/24/16

You can also copy/paste from a document. I would do it all the time with Marchosia as she was a heroic storyteller rather than a singer or dancer.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 09/25/16

TinweSaa wrote:You can also copy/paste from a document. I would do it all the time with Marchosia as she was a heroic storyteller rather than a singer or dancer.
This, this is what I do and what I explained how to do above. It's way easier versus macros in my opinion.

Sairina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Sairina » 09/29/16

Unless things have changed, the Soulfire has a stage for non-stripping performances. I built an entire EDM DJ studio on it a couple times.