[ON HOLD] Leather Armor Crafting - Samurai Armor

Arts & Crafts
Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

[ON HOLD] Leather Armor Crafting - Samurai Armor

Post by Kiarryn » 07/12/13

Planning phase time! This is for another personal suit of armor, for a LARP Clan that will be coming into game in November. The Clan theme is Asian, based around a Reborn Dragon, some Dragonmen and a host of other followers who had a Dojo/Temple on a plane that was destroyed. As the destruction occurs, we're thrust through the Mist and land in Aldretha, the plane where the majority of the LARP takes place. The LARP is Shifted Lands, with the premise being the existence of MANY planes, so this fits right in. The Mist is a form of travel, and also a plot device.

This project will be slower to start, partially due to having to make brand new patterns, and partially due to having to wait for some of the materials. This is also a project that the boyfriend and I will be doing at the same time, each for our own suit.

I'll be doing full leather, with long lames (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_(armor)). This suit would be the best reference for what I'm working with for design so far:

The biggest change I'll be making is that I'll be doing ALL of my pieces in long lames, instead of switching to Kozane style for my shoulders and skirting. As much as I hate to say it, I'm not up for cutting hundreds of tiny plates out of leather, by hand, or punching and lacing that many! I have limits to the torture I will put myself through.

We had started on the idea a couple of weeks ago, and found that heavy leather with paracord would be a great method. We ordered our paracord and plates, and have the leather we need on hand. After some more research, a lot of forum time (the SCA actually does a LOT of work in Samurai armor, so we read through a lot of their writing), we realized that paracord just wasn't the way to go. It could be done that way, but it just wouldn't look proper. If I'm going to invest this much time into a suit, I'd rather go the extra distance to make it look as proper as possible.

So, we've been talking to a company that actually does rice braids (http://www.ricebraid.com/ - surprising name, eh?), and placing an order for some material. The order is going in today, hoping to have it in the next 2 weeks.

This is my color scheme (thanks Erithe for showing me this site!): https://kuler.adobe.com/Samurai-Armor-- ... e-2684604/

The black in the color scheme is for my black leather, which will be dyed, then coated for some shine. I'm also looking into some gold trim work, for the main plates on the chest, and some possible brocade accents.

I have this fabric on hand to work with, for brocade work:

I also plan to get with our seamstress friend, to see if she can design a proper Jin-Baiori (Samurai Vest) to go with the suit. This would go OVER the armor, which I find to be absolutely awesome. Photo for reference (actual design subject to what materials and pattern we come up with!):

I will probably end up testing out some tabi shoes/boots, to complete the outfit. That part is subject to whether I can find a pair that can handle 12+ hours of wear and fighting and still be comfortable. If not, I'll go with some comfortable Bear Paw boots (accented with fake fur and wraps to be somewhat traditional) or my current leather high boots.

He'll be doing full lamellar style armor, with a mix of Effingham (Kozane) (http://www.plasticlamellar.com/Plates/effingham-plate) and Auk (http://www.plasticlamellar.com/Plates/auk-plate) plates.

His suit will be primary both golds, accented in blue, and I'm guessing black plates. I'm not sure what other accent work he has planned, since he'll already be investing far too many hours in lacing his plates!
Last edited by Kiarryn on 07/23/13, edited 1 time in total.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Leather Armor Crafting - Samurai Armor

Post by Kiarryn » 07/18/13

Well, I promised Tash I'd keep a detailed log! Today, 3.5 hours. The advantage of this suit, is that it's historical. Also, the SCA has a whole group of people who've studied samurai armor, so... patterns are less of a headache.

So, for anyone who's following this thread, here's a seriously helpful graphic to start with:

That's all the bits and pieces that go into Samurai armor and clothing.

The first hour of the day was spent sorting out pattern sheets, figuring out which sheets belonged to which part of the armor, and figuring out which ones I needed first, for the Do. As mentioned before, I plan on doing the long Lame style, which is from the mid 15th century to the 16th century.

First things first, I have these two sheets:

These were printed on 8.5x11 paper, then expanded onto 11x17 paper. Each piece seen here is only half of the Lame. All of the Lame patterns had to be cut out:

Then transferred onto newspaper sheets, by tracing them upside down, flipping them over on the center line, and tracing the other half:

And doing this a lot, until I had both the front and back set of Lames ready to be cut out:

Next step will be to cut all of the Lames out of the newspaper, do a quick mock test against my dress form, maybe against my body, see if the sizes are all right, then trace these patterns onto poster board. This suit is being made into poster board patterns, because I'll need to do a bunch of punching of holes for lacing, so paper patterns would have a higher chance of becoming weak and ripping, as I continued to work on them.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kiarryn » 07/21/13

Crafter's Log, date 07212013

Another five hours of work put in today, total is 8.5 hours so far. Today wasn't the most efficient day, or highly photographed day. It was a LOT of doing the same thing over and over and over again.

First I had to cut out all of the patterns I had made on Thursday, which made this pile:

Then check them out for sizing, and realized I needed to add about two inches in length and a half inch top to bottom. So, I had to trace each pattern back onto newspaper again, and adjust the sizing. I finished all the front plates, and started on the back plates, but the Benedryl is just making it impossible to focus, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

Supposedly this will go MUCH faster, once I have all my patterns set. Then it will slow down a bit, once I start doing all the lacing work.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kiarryn » 07/23/13

This project is possibly being put on a short hold.

I may be switching from leather to full kozane scale. The idea of trying a completely different style of armor is tempting.

If it is put on hold, it will only be that way until my scales are delivered :D

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kiarryn » 07/23/13

That decision didn't take long...
ORDER CONFIRMATION

Thank you for your purchase from Plastic Lamellar! Please find confirmation of your order and payment below. You will also receive an e-mail confirmation of your order.
2,000 Kozane scales ordered.

The benefit to this style of work... I can work on it while sitting on the couch with Battlestar Galactica episodes entertaining me. There is no dye work, no manual hole punching, no hand cutting of leather, less pain on the hands. It's also something new to try, another learning experience and a completely different style of armor.

The difference... LOTS OF LACING.

I'm excited again.

I DO want to do a suit of leather Samurai armor, but I think I'm just a little burned out on the leatherworking at the moment. I'll be coming back to this project at some point, if only to make it and sell it.

spirittigerrei
Visitor

Re: [ON HOLD] Leather Armor Crafting - Samurai Armor

Post by spirittigerrei » 01/08/17

Can you tell me where you got the pattern for the armor? It would really help