Leather Pouch Project

Arts & Crafts
Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Leather Pouch Project

Post by Kiarryn » 04/12/16

So.. Tash has been gently prodding me to get back into my crafts, one of which is my leather work. A trip to Tandy Leather (having an actual store nearby is dangerous!) produced this:

Which led to me taking a Sunday afternoon to reorganize a closet for our crafts, my shelves for jewelry and leather...

And... since I now have the tools, leather and neat and tidy closet, it's time to actually do a project. We need pouches for our LARP stuff (I swear, pouches are the bane of LARPing, since they're either super pretty, tooled and majorly expensive, or cheap, bland and made with crappy materials), and I needed a small project to get back up to snuff on skill..

Which then led to me making a miniature pattern out of standard 8.5x11 paper. I wanted to see if I could actually make a pattern from scratch that would do what I wanted it to. Basic idea... I wanted a pouch that would open and close easily, no clasp, for quickly getting into it while LARPing.

I ended up with this:

The two sections outlined in black sharpie are raised. The flap bit would be hard leather, rounded on the edges and smoothed, dyed and possibly tooled a tiny bit, then mounted onto the soft leather that you can't see under it. That would give me a nice heavy flap that would stay down, with the tab bit going into a snug slot. I could also add a leash and pin to keep it closed.

It's a nice, simple design that should look good and could easily be made for others, if it ends up not being a headache to make.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Leather Pouch Project

Post by Kiarryn » 04/17/16

Tonight was the night. I kept putting off pouch pattern work to make bracelets or fret over whether I'd be able to handle this project (first one on my own, nobody teaching or checking my work, etc). I've decided to do all of my pattern work on poster board, unless I need to use a different material. My older patterns were done on blank newspaper, so they're super fragile and all need to be transferred over (for the ones I want to re-use). Lesson learned!

First picture, not much to actually see... but planning out all the parts in the measurements I want..

Once they were all drawn out, carrrreeeeeefully cut them. Any errors here would just transfer over to the leather, which would be really bad.

Not really much to see yet, as this is all the planning and preparation. Not exactly exciting, unless you're into the craft!

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kiarryn » 04/18/16

Slight progress. We got home from the zoo, ate dinner and then a nap bomb went off. I did not nap, but I had zero energy and had written the day off for my pouch project. Then Tash and I ran an errand and I was feeling okay.. so I did the tracing and cutting of the soft leather parts. Three parts done, two more to cut (from heavy leather). Not much of a fancy picture either... seems my finger wanted in it.

Once all of the cutting is done there's some some edging, punching, dying and such... and then the moment of truth that is assembly. Maybe this week, but likely next, because this is a LARP weekend.

Also, something to note. While I hope this pouch turns out to be a perfectly functioning member of the LARP garb society, I know it's also a prototype, first attempt, yada yada. I've used some of the edges of my roll of beautiful, black motorcycle leather, in order to save the best sections for once I've had success. That would explain some of the markings and imperfections on the leather. There's also a stamp on the underside of the long strip. It won't be seen, so I figured it was a perfect time to use it, when I may have to start from scratch anyways! When I get the pattern perfected, I will be back to my standard of using the best part of a roll of leather.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kiarryn » 04/30/16

I've put some more time into this project... and it's finally starting to look like a pouch!

First up, cutting the two pieces that come from the heavier leather. I got a brand new pair of steel shears with serrated edges to help with this project. Best shears I have ever owned and they will ONLY be used for cutting leather.

Then I took a tiny side step to use some scraps to give myself a refresher on rivet work, and to make sure I had rivets of the right size, as I was still deciding on whether to rivet or hand sew the heavy plates onto the lighter leather.

Then it was back to work, using my new edging tool and edge smoother to clean up the edges and give them a worked look..

.... once I removed the red protective coating on the edge tool. Explained why I couldn't get it to bite into the leather.

And once the edges were all done and smoothed, time to dye! I went with a Slate Gray color, which turned out to be a bit too close to black, but learning process, so whatever.

Once that was complete... my old favorite past time... hand sewing with the awl. I'm doing this pouch rough side out, then flipping it. I'm already well into the hating life phase of this project, but loving the fact that it SEEMS to be working. Guess we'll find out once it's all done! I have to do this one in bits and pieces, as it's REALLY hard on he fingers and especially my right thumb from trying to hold the leather tight while pushing the awl needle through the tiny holes I made.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

One slight flaw, but definitely looking like a pouch (inside out at the moment. It's not even a pattern flaw, luckily, just a matter of starting the holes too far down on one side (off by 1-2), so the other side is higher than it should be. I'm pretty sure I'll still get a functional test pouch out of this. All a learning process!

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 04/30/16

Yay for leatherwork! The pouch looks awesome!

I have a question. Would making dog collars/harnesses be something you would be willing to do? My youngest pup is still growing so it wouldn't be an immediate order but if it's something you would be interested in taking on, I'd love to outfit my goblins with something handmade but sturdy. Which would be even more awesome if it was someone I knew to commission from.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Sibelle wrote:Yay for leatherwork! The pouch looks awesome!

I have a question. Would making dog collars/harnesses be something you would be willing to do? My youngest pup is still growing so it wouldn't be an immediate order but if it's something you would be interested in taking on, I'd love to outfit my goblins with something handmade but sturdy. Which would be even more awesome if it was someone I knew to commission from.
I would love to make collars and harnesses at some point, but I can say at least for the moment, I'm still in the re-learning phase of leather. I am pretty sure I could do collars relatively soon, as I know the techniques, but I want to get a few projects and hours in before I would give it a go. The only items I've made to go on a living being was my own armor.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 05/02/16

That's entirely fine. I know it's awkward to come back into something you've been away from awhile. One of my dogs is still growing so it makes sense to me, to wait until we're not likely to see them change too dramatically but I figured I'd ask since you're starting up again.

I don't keep my dogs in their collars/harnesses constantly because they're indoor, and nudists but I'd still like to have something nice and representative of the fact they're my children and important to me. They're little powerhouses so it wouldn't be anything super delicate.

It's something I've been meaning to ask you since I saw your armor sets but I was in no position financially for such a thing, and now my whole dog household has changed.

Whenever you think you might be up to trying it, just give me a poke and we can talk more in depth.