EQ2 - Duskwood Island

Arts & Crafts
Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

EQ2 - Duskwood Island

Post by Lily » 08/14/16

A couple of weeks ago, I got a whisper from a friend who seemed really surprised to see me. Evidently, someone spread the rumor that I quit the game and wasn't coming back, and this friend just happened to log in that day around the time I usually log in. I'll confess that I have gotten really quiet in the last couple of years, so I can understand why some might think I'd quit. I don't always stay on for very long, and I don't really RP anymore. I keep meaning to RP, but I just can't get into it these days. I do log in and fiddle around or run my kids through a dungeon. Sometimes, I'm on a different server, completing a project over there.

As a whole, I haven't been feeling particularly creative lately. It mostly has to do with my health, but it's also because our kids are teenagers now, all four of them. Teenagers are so much more exhausting than babies and toddlers. I just don't feel particularly inspired or creative when I'm exhausted.

After promising this friend I would begin attending RP events soon, I let the folks in RPlfg know that I was still around (at this friend's request). Then, I sat down to reflect upon my character and her background. If I'm going to start RPing again, I need to remember what Lily is all about, right? I know all her background and such, but where is she now? What's she doing now?

That's when it hit me. AB Boglily didn't have a home. Sure - I - have a lot decorated homes in the game from various contests and holidays, but Lily didn't have a home. In fact, all of Lily's cool, and sometimes unique, stuff was tucked away in her house vault without a place to display it, and what wasn't there was scattered across my account in various alts' homes.

I decided that this needed fixing, and I've begun working on a Tudor-inspired home for Boglily. It's not complete yet. I still have to decorate the houses on the docks and get other details done on the island. Once that's done, I can go back to the house and add more wooden beams & details, but it's a good start so far.

The entrance has her music box collection, tapestries from Maj'Dul, and various knickknacks.

I've created a place for her snowglobe collection above the kitchen and in the hall leading to her library.

And I've finally created a decorated space for her to place all her books with room to grow.

I'll update as I finish the different parts of the island, but hey! Lily has a home now that reflects who she is as a froglok.
Last edited by Lily on 09/14/16, edited 1 time in total.

Ainaree
Iksar-In-A-Box

Re: Duskwood Island

Post by Ainaree » 08/15/16

Fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 08/15/16

Amazing as always!

Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Lily » 09/10/16

So the old manor house took up way too many items, and I didn't have enough to decorate the rest of the island when I was done. It also took a ridiculously long time to load. I mean, yes, whenever you have a house zone that large, it takes a while to load anything of a significant distance from the entrance, but this was taking a super long time. It's because there were so many items.

I had to rethink the design.

Well, I love the Maudlin Heights Manor set, and I had some Daybreask cash saved up from my free monthly stuff. I bought it. Before I started decorating it, it loaded up pretty quickly. Now that it's nearly fully decorated, it takes quite a while to load, but not nearly as long as the old house did. Plus it left me enough room to decorate the rest of the island, solving two different problems.

Really, an island the size of the Vale of Halfpint Delight would have been perfect for my purposes... except it's covered in some very not tropical trees and some inconveniently placed rocks. What I might end up doing in order to solve my remaining loading & item count issues is seal off the manor entrances and place a portal to a different house at the front door. Then I can load up the fully decorated manor inside the different house. I dunno. It's a thought I'm toying around with, and I have a house that I could place the manor in. If I just copy the manor into the new layout, I wouldn't have to reshelve all 336 books and scrolls either.

But I kind of like having everything in one house. I'll have to give it some thought. Until then, here's the newly redone manor house. I have a breakfast nook, conservatory and guest room left to finish. Plus I need to log in all my crafters to display their crafting items.