Ceramics stuff

Arts & Crafts
Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Ceramics stuff

Post by Sibelle » 09/02/16

So I am in school (yay) and taking drawing and ceramics.. and found that I am in love with clay. I only have a couple pictures because I just started and forgot to take pics yesterday of the thing I am working on now.

But this is my first vase made out of two pinch pots. It is drying and I won't see it for a few days to take updated pictures.

Most recent pic:

Before I refined the leaves more/ect:

Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Ceramics stuff

Post by Lily » 09/05/16

I love it! Will you be glazing it as well? Or leaving it natural?

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 09/05/16

I will be glazing it partially. I am leaving the bottom half of the lower part unglazed to give a raw/sand like appearance to suggest roots then glazing the rest.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 09/06/16

This was sort of an accidental piece. I was setting up to start something else more complicated and my teacher had me show a girl how to make a basic pinch pot (the first thing you learn, ever) because I am good at them. (The vase is two pinch pots) and once I started, I couldn't toss a perfectly good pinch pot.. So I made it into an owl-cup. It's on the small side, so I dunno what I will do with it but it will get glazed as well once it's fired. Our kiln needs a lot more stuff before we can do that.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 09/07/16

I LOVE that owl!

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 09/15/16

So far that owl seems to be the crowd favorite. If left entirely to my own devices I think I would focus on more fantasy stuff. Right now I have to make certain kinds of things for class (which is ok, it's great practice).

However my vase came through the initial bisque kiln firing AND DID NOT EXPLODE. HOORAH. (The owl wasn't dry enough yet).

This is what it looks like bisque fired and unglazed. I did glaze it, but didn't get a picture of it glaezed before the next firing.I taped off the outside leaves and dipped it in a light turquoise/green, then once that dried a bit, I removed the tape and painted on a darker green glaze. Some of the other glaze snuck through in the cracks so it might have a neat effect where the glazes meet on the leaves, or it could turn out muddy. We'll have to see. It should be fired by monday, when I have class.

In the interim I am supposed to make a series of dishes with this one technique which I don't like too much, but I am trying to make a soap dish type thing. The clay was pretty wet so it looks a bit warped and it's on the large side. But here it is, partially detailed (first pass) from underneath. Once I am more or less done with the underside, I will flip it and work on the inside.

Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Lily » 09/15/16

Your soap dish looks far better than anything I could do. I can't wait to see the picture of the glazed vase.